
inkswamp
Sep 22, 02:32 PM
*Sigh* One more reason to hate Wal-Mart. My wife and I stopped shopping there ages ago after talking to some of their workers (and comfirming for ourselves that the stories about forced, unpaid overtime and never-quite-materializing benefits were true) and reading about some of their business practices--much of which makes Microsoft look reasonably benign by comparison.
This kind of anti-competitive junk is exactly what we should all expect from Wal-Mart.
On a side note, I love how conservatives hold Wal-Mart up as a shining examples of American capitalism in action, but they fail to mention these kinds of practices. Making threats to keep others from entering your market is NOT how capitalism works. It's all supposed to be about competition and rising to meet your competitor's services or products. This frantic, behind-the-scenes threat-making is ridiculous and Wal-Mart should be ashamed.
This kind of anti-competitive junk is exactly what we should all expect from Wal-Mart.
On a side note, I love how conservatives hold Wal-Mart up as a shining examples of American capitalism in action, but they fail to mention these kinds of practices. Making threats to keep others from entering your market is NOT how capitalism works. It's all supposed to be about competition and rising to meet your competitor's services or products. This frantic, behind-the-scenes threat-making is ridiculous and Wal-Mart should be ashamed.
SPEEDwithJJ
Oct 25, 09:23 AM
Omg That case is FANTASTIC! Where did you get it???
I believe she mentioned a few weeks ago that she bought that case from Staples.
I believe she mentioned a few weeks ago that she bought that case from Staples.
LethalWolfe
Apr 13, 09:41 PM
I'm really excited for the new features, many of which sound great, but I wonder why they couldn't just implement them into the current FCP interface? I'm a heavy Final Cut Pro user and really fast with the current application. I hate to have to learn an entirely new interface.
Long story short the core of the current FCP code is from the late 90's and there is only so long you can keep patching and bolting things on before you have to blow it up and start from the ground up again.
Lethal
Long story short the core of the current FCP code is from the late 90's and there is only so long you can keep patching and bolting things on before you have to blow it up and start from the ground up again.
Lethal

Eduardo1971
Apr 17, 11:34 AM
How. Many. Full. Stops. Do. They. Want. To. Cram. Into. One. Advert? Have they ever heard of the comma? It's this really useful little squiggle that can be used to separate items in a list.
If you are going to criticize the grammar your comments should be directed at Apple. Have seen the front page of apple.com?
If you are going to criticize the grammar your comments should be directed at Apple. Have seen the front page of apple.com?
grassland
Mar 2, 04:16 PM
making sure everything is good:)

szsiddiq
Nov 8, 09:04 AM
Or maybe just wash your hands when you're done eating fried chicken?
IMHO the white leaves different marks that are just as back...after awhile ull get a bunch of scuff marks that make the finish look more greyish brown...this is why i hated iBooks
IMHO the white leaves different marks that are just as back...after awhile ull get a bunch of scuff marks that make the finish look more greyish brown...this is why i hated iBooks
doug in albq
Mar 25, 12:52 PM
Gestures still function on iPad?
emotion
Nov 8, 09:03 AM
OK, I hear you. Seriously then, the white MacBook is a great machine. It's light-grey inside if that makes any difference to you ;)
But if you don't need a new laptop right now, it's always better to wait. Lucky for you that Macworld SF is just around the corner and something new always gets announced. I'd be surprised though if these laptops see any changes then though. The next update will be nearer summer 2007 I reckon, when Intel start shipping the 800Mhz bus Merom updates with Santa Rosa.
I'm a serial watcher of these things. I can wait a little while longer yet as my current machine still works ok.
But if you don't need a new laptop right now, it's always better to wait. Lucky for you that Macworld SF is just around the corner and something new always gets announced. I'd be surprised though if these laptops see any changes then though. The next update will be nearer summer 2007 I reckon, when Intel start shipping the 800Mhz bus Merom updates with Santa Rosa.
I'm a serial watcher of these things. I can wait a little while longer yet as my current machine still works ok.

Yvan256
Nov 7, 09:09 AM
Apple will never make a laptop that is that size because it would mean that they would have to take out the optical drive and make the computer ultimately worthless without a docking station. Apple will never make a computer that isn't fully capable from the start.
First of all we're in 2006. Optical-less laptops don't require a "docking station". We have FireWire and USB external drives now, nothing special is required.
Second, Apple already has a very successful product on the market that also requires a "docking station". It's called an iPod. Without a computer an iPod is useless. You can't rip things directly to it.
And third, as mentionned, we're in 2006. Honestly, the only times I use the combo drive of my Mac mini is when I play Starcraft, Diablo II, rip music CDs with iTunes or encode my DVDs to H.264/AAC with HandBrake. That's all.
I would sell my 12" Powerbook in an instant if Apple ever made a light sub-laptop. Even a 13" Macbook is too big IMO. The laptop being my second, portable computer, I want it more portable than a "desktop replacement".
That's how I see it anyway.
As for the new specs of the Macbook, if the rumors are true, then I hope we can expect the Mac mini to be updated with the exact same specs in about a month or so.
As for heat problems with such a small laptop, well, no one is forcing Apple to run the processor(s) at their full speed. An Intel Core 2 Duo that's about 25% slower would still be about 50% faster than a G4 I guess (if we take Apple's marketing numbers) but could require half as much power (better battery life, lower heat dissipation).
First of all we're in 2006. Optical-less laptops don't require a "docking station". We have FireWire and USB external drives now, nothing special is required.
Second, Apple already has a very successful product on the market that also requires a "docking station". It's called an iPod. Without a computer an iPod is useless. You can't rip things directly to it.
And third, as mentionned, we're in 2006. Honestly, the only times I use the combo drive of my Mac mini is when I play Starcraft, Diablo II, rip music CDs with iTunes or encode my DVDs to H.264/AAC with HandBrake. That's all.
I would sell my 12" Powerbook in an instant if Apple ever made a light sub-laptop. Even a 13" Macbook is too big IMO. The laptop being my second, portable computer, I want it more portable than a "desktop replacement".
That's how I see it anyway.
As for the new specs of the Macbook, if the rumors are true, then I hope we can expect the Mac mini to be updated with the exact same specs in about a month or so.
As for heat problems with such a small laptop, well, no one is forcing Apple to run the processor(s) at their full speed. An Intel Core 2 Duo that's about 25% slower would still be about 50% faster than a G4 I guess (if we take Apple's marketing numbers) but could require half as much power (better battery life, lower heat dissipation).
.jpg)
OllyW
Mar 19, 05:46 AM
Nice library, but do you need it with you at all times? I used to think I did, but I've found that I don't need 11,000 songs with me all the time. I have songs in my library I haven't listened to in years. Another reason why the iPod classic is dying, Apple, and iTunes, have made it very easy to manage the music you actually listen to, and add it to your iPod.
Yes, I like to have it all with me.
I listen to music for 9 hours a day when I'm at work and used to get frustrated with my old 60GB iPod photo because I only had half of my collection with me. I've had my 160GB classic since 2007 and I'm now down to my last 5GB of free space.
A new 220GB classic in September would be perfect timing. :D
Yes, I like to have it all with me.
I listen to music for 9 hours a day when I'm at work and used to get frustrated with my old 60GB iPod photo because I only had half of my collection with me. I've had my 160GB classic since 2007 and I'm now down to my last 5GB of free space.
A new 220GB classic in September would be perfect timing. :D
dllavaneras
Jul 22, 10:16 PM
This could help many students take a quick look at an e-book to verify or check some info while studying, instead of lugging around a ton of books
EDIT: Just a quick question: would this e-book feature be able to see images embedded in the e-book? or just text?
EDIT: Just a quick question: would this e-book feature be able to see images embedded in the e-book? or just text?
MikeTheC
Aug 30, 10:50 PM
Back on topic...
I don't know why people are going on and on about the $400 price for Windows Vista Ultimate version. That's a retail price, just like the $300 retail price for windows XP. Only an idiot would buy a retail version of windows when you can get the same full install (not an upgrade) oem version for a fraction of that price.
A retail version of Windows XP professional SP2 is $300 at compUSA and the OEM of XP pro SP2 is $130 at my local PC parts store.
Retail pricing isn't even worth discussing unless Microsoft decides to end oem sales of windows.
Of course, that also assumes that the average person walking into a major retailer would or could know that little bit of info.
Personally, I have no plans whatsoever to buy Vista. I'm not a gamer, I neither develop in or have a need to use apps built in VB or MSAccess. I no longer work for Sony supporting PCs running Windows, and so frankly I have no need for anything other than a Mac.
And frankly if I ever decided to get into gaming (not impossible, but highly doubtful) I'd probably just get a gaming console and hook it up to my LCD panel.
I don't know why people are going on and on about the $400 price for Windows Vista Ultimate version. That's a retail price, just like the $300 retail price for windows XP. Only an idiot would buy a retail version of windows when you can get the same full install (not an upgrade) oem version for a fraction of that price.
A retail version of Windows XP professional SP2 is $300 at compUSA and the OEM of XP pro SP2 is $130 at my local PC parts store.
Retail pricing isn't even worth discussing unless Microsoft decides to end oem sales of windows.
Of course, that also assumes that the average person walking into a major retailer would or could know that little bit of info.
Personally, I have no plans whatsoever to buy Vista. I'm not a gamer, I neither develop in or have a need to use apps built in VB or MSAccess. I no longer work for Sony supporting PCs running Windows, and so frankly I have no need for anything other than a Mac.
And frankly if I ever decided to get into gaming (not impossible, but highly doubtful) I'd probably just get a gaming console and hook it up to my LCD panel.

fertilized-egg
Apr 2, 12:02 PM
"Why would I make Apple the best camera?"
Because you want to sell 20 million units with no marketing risk, minimal inventory cost, large prepayments from the customer, and unusual engineering support from the customer.
yeah I don't understand what is so ironic about that when for years Sony has been supplying camera sensors to all the competitors including Nikon, Canon, Pentax, etc (I am talking about the whole camera sector not just DSLR) and Sony buys their components from competitors such as Samsung.
Because you want to sell 20 million units with no marketing risk, minimal inventory cost, large prepayments from the customer, and unusual engineering support from the customer.
yeah I don't understand what is so ironic about that when for years Sony has been supplying camera sensors to all the competitors including Nikon, Canon, Pentax, etc (I am talking about the whole camera sector not just DSLR) and Sony buys their components from competitors such as Samsung.
OllyW
Mar 19, 05:31 AM
I applaud you. I would have done the same until they added the "convert higher bit rate to 128" option to the iPhone. Now, I can have 5200 songs on my iPhone 32GB, which is roughly half my iTunes library, with enough space for app, photos, and video. I see no reason to carry around two devices when one does everything I need, plus all the guilty pleasures of the web.
Try squeezing 26,000 songs on your iPhone. ;)
Try squeezing 26,000 songs on your iPhone. ;)
JazzCollector
Mar 20, 09:43 AM
I think the Classic will be discountinued. Apple is moving the music and video experience to the cloud to allow your collection to be shared between iTV, iPad, and iPhone devices. The acquisition of the music upload service lula has to be nearing some level of integration with iTunes and Mobile Me.
I bet the only thing keeping this strategy from being fully executed are legal agreements between the content providers and Apple. Something tells me this could be a long fight as it seems that content providers are making inroads in iTune competitors like eMusic. Prices are increasing at eMusic and becoming more 'fixed' across record labels with a larger share of the value-add shifting back to the labels. It's almost as if they've finally found a business model that brings them back to the hay-days of the vinyl record era.
For me to be a consumer in this space I would need an ability to upload my current collection to the cloud. Most of what I buy isn't available on iTunes and a large percentage is either out of print or has not been made available digitally.
I'm afraid I'll always have a 4 iPod Classic strategy to hold my collection. That will be my strategy until the batteries no longer hold a charge.
I bet the only thing keeping this strategy from being fully executed are legal agreements between the content providers and Apple. Something tells me this could be a long fight as it seems that content providers are making inroads in iTune competitors like eMusic. Prices are increasing at eMusic and becoming more 'fixed' across record labels with a larger share of the value-add shifting back to the labels. It's almost as if they've finally found a business model that brings them back to the hay-days of the vinyl record era.
For me to be a consumer in this space I would need an ability to upload my current collection to the cloud. Most of what I buy isn't available on iTunes and a large percentage is either out of print or has not been made available digitally.
I'm afraid I'll always have a 4 iPod Classic strategy to hold my collection. That will be my strategy until the batteries no longer hold a charge.

Amnak
Apr 17, 01:27 AM
people may think this is bad, but actually it's a perfect plan make it the only consumer tablet that anyone sees anywhere and kids make up a huge chunk of what parents purchase. They'll be saying iPad and Apple before Dadda and Mamma
crees!
Aug 3, 02:31 PM
ugh if that phone in movie is real I might die... SO ugly Nah, it looks like a glossy piece of paper with stickers put on it. Though the ad does look real to me. Video.. not real. But then the video questions if the ad is real... hmm.
rever3nce
Apr 17, 09:28 PM
why does everyone complain on who carries the ipad 2??? seriously grow up and realize that its an opportunity for you to get one. if your an average person looking for an ipad the last place you would look is toys r us . that benefits you . i personally work at radioshack and yall complain that radioshack carries it too. stop living in the 80's and think that we have electronic projects that you do every month for your grandson . radioshack offers the best deals with the trade in program ( which i bet most of yall dont even know about ) example : just did this yesterday , traded in a ladies iphone 3gs 16 GB and upgraded to an iphone 4 16GB for $25 . please name someone that can beat that price??? nough said . same thing with the ipad . bring them your old ipad and you pay very little money towards new electronics . of course this is not with EVERY item so dont be that costumer that complains that they get $12 for a beat up HTC hero
THINK before you speak . and stop complaining
THINK before you speak . and stop complaining

JGowan
Mar 28, 11:13 PM
It will be $99.la la la la... I'm not listening.
Music_Producer
Oct 27, 04:14 AM
Seems to have solved my Macbook shutdown problem. It used to shut down 4-5 times a day.. since I applied the patch.. it hasn't shut down since the last 5 hours. It's also very quiet.. it was always quiet but sometimes the fans would kick in.. now I hear nothing.
Quite pleased that Apple takes notice and figures out solutions rather quickly.
Quite pleased that Apple takes notice and figures out solutions rather quickly.
Mac Rules
Aug 3, 06:15 PM
Yeah, is it possible to *watch* keynote as it happens, cause I don't wanna miss t, I wanna feel the suspense, or at leas thow long after Keynote will we know details?
Cheers
Cheers
mfr1340
Mar 28, 02:41 PM
Sounds like you've never actually ordered. Credit cards do not get charged until orders actually ship.
Further, obviously Apple didn't just decide last week to add RS, despite delays at other venues. The deal with RS would have been cut a long time ago, and Apple would be subject to certain supply requirements.
They sent the cover right away, 5 weeks earley, it was on the same order, that way they could charge the card for the sale earley!:confused:
Further, obviously Apple didn't just decide last week to add RS, despite delays at other venues. The deal with RS would have been cut a long time ago, and Apple would be subject to certain supply requirements.
They sent the cover right away, 5 weeks earley, it was on the same order, that way they could charge the card for the sale earley!:confused:
iPad 2
Mar 29, 10:07 AM
So this fall, we can expect from Apple...
A 1920x1440 Retina Display iPad 3 (to be released in September)
An A5 powered iPod
and an...
A5 powered iPhone 5 with a 4" screen, 4g, better voice controls, cloud storage and drag and drop support.
Basically, every single thing on this list is about to come true...
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1021233
I could live with that. Apple is going to DOMINATE this Christmas. :)
A 1920x1440 Retina Display iPad 3 (to be released in September)
An A5 powered iPod
and an...
A5 powered iPhone 5 with a 4" screen, 4g, better voice controls, cloud storage and drag and drop support.
Basically, every single thing on this list is about to come true...
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1021233
I could live with that. Apple is going to DOMINATE this Christmas. :)
Compatiblepoker
Aug 2, 04:40 PM
Saw that one coming. I cringe everytime I see an Apple security commercial. It's like spitting in the hackers face.
No comments:
Post a Comment