
Lord Blackadder
Nov 8, 08:32 AM
I had a small kernel of hope that they'd ditch the integrated GPU, but I sort of knew it wouldn't happen...
Still, this is a very nice machine, probaby the best iBook ever. The C2D is so powerful compared to the G4 it's mind boggling.
Still, this is a very nice machine, probaby the best iBook ever. The C2D is so powerful compared to the G4 it's mind boggling.
ericinboston
Apr 12, 01:58 PM
You are still not getting it. It does cost a fraction to build things outside the US.
Ohhh, I get it. Trust me. But there's more to "it" than just a 3-paragraph overview of the entire way the US decides to do business. I think a high percentage of Americans will agree that the business models (taxes, outsourcing, low US manufacturing, unions, wages, health benefits, etc) are basically killing our way of life.
Maybe in 10-15 years the US will finally realize how much damage has been done and will start to get back in shape.
Ohhh, I get it. Trust me. But there's more to "it" than just a 3-paragraph overview of the entire way the US decides to do business. I think a high percentage of Americans will agree that the business models (taxes, outsourcing, low US manufacturing, unions, wages, health benefits, etc) are basically killing our way of life.
Maybe in 10-15 years the US will finally realize how much damage has been done and will start to get back in shape.
SPEEDwithJJ
Oct 26, 08:30 PM
The new version of the Harman/Kardon Soundsticks III has a white light in the sub-woofer instead of blue.
That is very interesting & thanks for the info & links. :)
That is very interesting & thanks for the info & links. :)
EasyB
Oct 27, 05:40 PM
Think you're imagining it. Have updated my MB and i still can't hear the fan in normal usage. I expect it will kick in at some time when it decides things are getting a bit hot.
The way I was able to make my fans kick in was to run the rss tester from http://www.macbookrandomshutdown.com/
Download and run the tester and it maxes out CPU cycles, before my mac would just shut off within 1-2 sec. Now the fans come on.
The rss tester:
http://www.macbookrandomshutdown.com/utils/macbookrss.dmg
-B
The way I was able to make my fans kick in was to run the rss tester from http://www.macbookrandomshutdown.com/
Download and run the tester and it maxes out CPU cycles, before my mac would just shut off within 1-2 sec. Now the fans come on.
The rss tester:
http://www.macbookrandomshutdown.com/utils/macbookrss.dmg
-B
flopticalcube
May 4, 10:01 PM
Yuck! No thanks.
GFLPraxis
Aug 29, 03:01 PM
I don't know what people are fussing about. If these price points are true, Windows Vista is pretty cheap.
Are you joking? The basic $200 one lacks DVD burning, XBox 360 connectivity, media center, the whole new GUI, and searching! Each one has disadvantages, purposely crippled by Microsoft- only the $300 business edition has encryption and backup, remote desktop and multi-processor support (that's right, you need the business for multiple processors- since the lower end models can use multiple cores and are multithreaded, this means Microsoft DELIBERATELY disabled the functionality in the other models), only the $240 Premium edition has DVD burning, slideshows, media center, etc...
They're trying to force you into buying the Ultimate edition.
Frankly, you shouldn't have to spend $400 to get what Apple includes in the BASIC OS.
Are you joking? The basic $200 one lacks DVD burning, XBox 360 connectivity, media center, the whole new GUI, and searching! Each one has disadvantages, purposely crippled by Microsoft- only the $300 business edition has encryption and backup, remote desktop and multi-processor support (that's right, you need the business for multiple processors- since the lower end models can use multiple cores and are multithreaded, this means Microsoft DELIBERATELY disabled the functionality in the other models), only the $240 Premium edition has DVD burning, slideshows, media center, etc...
They're trying to force you into buying the Ultimate edition.
Frankly, you shouldn't have to spend $400 to get what Apple includes in the BASIC OS.
milo
Sep 12, 01:57 PM
Looks pretty awesome, I've been waiting all summer for this. I'll be buying one for my wife as soon as apple stores have them in stock. They say today, but I'm guessing it will be at least a few days?
Deepdale
Sep 12, 05:28 PM
The wait for this revision back to a superior casing and finish, coupled with vibrant color choices, was clearly worthwhile. Love 'em all!

webman2k
Apr 12, 06:38 AM
And this fake and completely improbable guy scenario can't ask his boss to use the legally licensed copy at work after hours or just use an older version version ? Or can't do without the FULL CS suite and just buy the portions he needs ? Or... just use another tool than Adobe's that is cheaper ?
No seriously, not an excuse or valid scenario. A freelancer would find a way if he's motivated enough.
Unfortunately not. This extremely tired and overworked theoretical man cannot ask his boss, because the freelance work conflicts with the corporate work. He also just uses photoshop. He's looked for cheaper tools - really wants to love pixelmator, but it just falls too short, and doesn't offer the compatibility he needs to work with his colleagues. He'd love to buy an older version of the suite - CS3 would be fine - if he could find it at a reasonable price, which he can't.
This guy - like I imagine many other "pirates" - isn't a bad guy. He WANTS to buy it, but it's tough to swallow that kind of an asking price. One day soon, when he can afford to, he'll pay the price. He just can't right now.
No seriously, not an excuse or valid scenario. A freelancer would find a way if he's motivated enough.
Unfortunately not. This extremely tired and overworked theoretical man cannot ask his boss, because the freelance work conflicts with the corporate work. He also just uses photoshop. He's looked for cheaper tools - really wants to love pixelmator, but it just falls too short, and doesn't offer the compatibility he needs to work with his colleagues. He'd love to buy an older version of the suite - CS3 would be fine - if he could find it at a reasonable price, which he can't.
This guy - like I imagine many other "pirates" - isn't a bad guy. He WANTS to buy it, but it's tough to swallow that kind of an asking price. One day soon, when he can afford to, he'll pay the price. He just can't right now.
rockthecasbah
Jul 22, 09:23 PM
meh i don't fancy eBooks, give me a plain ol' paperback or hard cover anyday, even if it is a bit larger :p
IJ Reilly
Aug 29, 12:09 PM
Well it is hidden and it is different. I guarantee you that Dell doesn't pay the same price you do when they purchase a resale license for Vista from MS.
Also OSX is included with every Mac but it is the same situation. Apple has to mark up the hardware by some increment for the cost of the OS. I have no idea what Apple's internal pricing is for OS X but it has some value.
It has value, but Apple doesn't buy OSX from itself. The point being, you get OSX when you buy a Mac, just as you get Windows when you buy an OEM PC. Some people seem to be finding a virtue in the latter but not the former, and a problem the fact that Apple has managed to significantly improve the OS five time in same span of years when Microsoft has managed it only once.
Also OSX is included with every Mac but it is the same situation. Apple has to mark up the hardware by some increment for the cost of the OS. I have no idea what Apple's internal pricing is for OS X but it has some value.
It has value, but Apple doesn't buy OSX from itself. The point being, you get OSX when you buy a Mac, just as you get Windows when you buy an OEM PC. Some people seem to be finding a virtue in the latter but not the former, and a problem the fact that Apple has managed to significantly improve the OS five time in same span of years when Microsoft has managed it only once.
iDutchman
Oct 15, 08:27 AM
Nice setup, and iMac! What did you do with the Cinema Display?
BTW Your iMac has an ATI GPU, not nVidia ;)
Oh, yeah! you're right! The ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB :o
If you take a look at the last page of Part 12 of this thread, you'll see the Cinema Display is used in that room, looks good:rolleyes:
I still adore the Cinema Displays and I will never sell it. it's an :apple: thing.
BTW Your iMac has an ATI GPU, not nVidia ;)
Oh, yeah! you're right! The ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB :o
If you take a look at the last page of Part 12 of this thread, you'll see the Cinema Display is used in that room, looks good:rolleyes:
I still adore the Cinema Displays and I will never sell it. it's an :apple: thing.
confirmed
Sep 12, 04:53 PM
was anyone able to get the search feature on their 5th gen ipods ? or where able to get the new games playable ? it didn't work for me.. nor was i able to get the search feature .. this is what i get when i connect my ipod
the search function seems to only be for the new ipods.
games work, though.. you just have to go to Ipod Games in the source list (if it's not in the source list, you need to enable it in Preferences), double click a game, enter your Apple ID and password.. it'll authorize, and then be able to sync to the ipod.
the search function seems to only be for the new ipods.
games work, though.. you just have to go to Ipod Games in the source list (if it's not in the source list, you need to enable it in Preferences), double click a game, enter your Apple ID and password.. it'll authorize, and then be able to sync to the ipod.

cooknwitha
Sep 12, 01:30 PM
Ooooo!!
I love this!! Love the new layout. Nice and tidy! Breaking up the library is good too!
I love software updates! It's like a present from Apple. :D
I love this!! Love the new layout. Nice and tidy! Breaking up the library is good too!
I love software updates! It's like a present from Apple. :D
bigmc6000
Aug 4, 08:09 AM
if that banner has everything that apple currently ships/makes - where the heck is the full body iPod??? I looked all over those pictures and only saw the nano. I understand not putting the shuffle up there but the not the iPod - are you serious?? I'm sure this will lend to speculation about nano's getting bigger HD's since there's no regular iPod in sight - haha.
bedifferent
May 4, 10:30 PM
Uh, isn't the world in 3D? I mean, we do see in three dimensions, correct? Is this a clever way of saying you are blind?
Or only has one eye ;)
Or only has one eye ;)
Bubba Satori
Jul 8, 12:16 PM
I predict tennis elbow cases will skyrocket with a touch screen iMac.
hob
Aug 24, 04:28 PM
MY GOD
I just woke up from a nap and have at least a DOZEN e-mails from PC-owning friends and famailies saying stuff like "What's up with your boys?!?!?!"
I kindly link them to the 4.1 million Dell's being recalled. :D
My girlfriend is having a field-day. Being a Dell fan-girl, I was like nyahhhh your laptop's gonna explode.
Now she's getting her own back (http://www.thehobsite.com/blog/?p=258) :(
I just woke up from a nap and have at least a DOZEN e-mails from PC-owning friends and famailies saying stuff like "What's up with your boys?!?!?!"
I kindly link them to the 4.1 million Dell's being recalled. :D
My girlfriend is having a field-day. Being a Dell fan-girl, I was like nyahhhh your laptop's gonna explode.
Now she's getting her own back (http://www.thehobsite.com/blog/?p=258) :(
DanMacApple
Mar 20, 12:04 AM
It would be nice for Apple to announce it's end of life after offering a 10th anniversary model. They'd sell tens of millions.
That would be a great idea to have one final classic model before the EOL and with a much larger HDD.
That would be a great idea to have one final classic model before the EOL and with a much larger HDD.
wizard
Mar 11, 03:27 PM
finally! I'm waiting to hand my money over for a mac pro, but this is good too. It'd be nice if Apple still saw the Mac as its primary business, but we can't all have what we want..
This attitude is crap! The chips suitable for these machine have barely been on the market and you seem to think it justifies throwing that attitude around. It isn't just Intel either as Apple has to implement a new GPU plan and get all of the new OS components working.
It is far better for the user that Apple takes it's time here to do the system right. Further I suspect part of the hold up is the next release of Snow Leopard an update everybody will want. You do want SL to improve in a positive manner don't you?
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
As an aside I've seen a few posts already from people crying about recently purchased MBPs and the expected soon update. Either get with it or shut up folks. It is not a mystery that a new generation of MBPs are coming. Thus the implication that you really needed those new machines, so these new machines really mean nothing. Otherwise you spent your money on a lark and deserve the frustration you have.
In any event I'm kinda interested in what the Mini might turn into. With the desktops so far ahead of this machine again there is plenty of room for a very significant update. They could turn that optical free model into one hot box with the right chipset.
Dave
This attitude is crap! The chips suitable for these machine have barely been on the market and you seem to think it justifies throwing that attitude around. It isn't just Intel either as Apple has to implement a new GPU plan and get all of the new OS components working.
It is far better for the user that Apple takes it's time here to do the system right. Further I suspect part of the hold up is the next release of Snow Leopard an update everybody will want. You do want SL to improve in a positive manner don't you?
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
As an aside I've seen a few posts already from people crying about recently purchased MBPs and the expected soon update. Either get with it or shut up folks. It is not a mystery that a new generation of MBPs are coming. Thus the implication that you really needed those new machines, so these new machines really mean nothing. Otherwise you spent your money on a lark and deserve the frustration you have.
In any event I'm kinda interested in what the Mini might turn into. With the desktops so far ahead of this machine again there is plenty of room for a very significant update. They could turn that optical free model into one hot box with the right chipset.
Dave
MrMuskOx
Mar 11, 08:03 PM
Update: 9 to 5 Mac now reports that the cited source may have been a hoax, although it notes that it has received multiple tips of a MacBook Pro release in the very near future.
:mad:
:mad:
KnightWRX
Apr 12, 06:42 AM
Unfortunately not. This extremely tired and overworked theoretical man cannot ask his boss, because the freelance work conflicts with the corporate work. He also just uses photoshop. He's looked for cheaper tools - really wants to love pixelmator, but it just falls too short, and doesn't offer the compatibility he needs to work with his colleagues. He'd love to buy an older version of the suite - CS3 would be fine - if he could find it at a reasonable price, which he can't.
This guy - like I imagine many other "pirates" - isn't a bad guy. He WANTS to buy it, but it's tough to swallow that kind of an asking price. One day soon, when he can afford to, he'll pay the price. He just can't right now.
Look, anyone can make up stories to try to prove a point. You won't change my mind and I still think your over emotional made-up scenario is pure bunk to try to tug at the strings of the heart. My empathy meter is barely reaching up to "couldn't care less" levels. The people who "pirate" Creative Suite are talentless hacks who probably pirate it for the sake of saying they have it (hoarders, what most software pirates are), not to use it in any meaningful way.
I stick by my gross over-generalization which makes anyone saying they will pirate it not matter at all in the grand scheme of things and should not be something to get worked up about like the initial post I was responding to was doing. Just ignore the people who think Adobe's prices are outrageous, they are what they are because they sell the best tools and anyone who can take those tools to make something worthwhile doesn't give a damn about the price.
This guy - like I imagine many other "pirates" - isn't a bad guy. He WANTS to buy it, but it's tough to swallow that kind of an asking price. One day soon, when he can afford to, he'll pay the price. He just can't right now.
Look, anyone can make up stories to try to prove a point. You won't change my mind and I still think your over emotional made-up scenario is pure bunk to try to tug at the strings of the heart. My empathy meter is barely reaching up to "couldn't care less" levels. The people who "pirate" Creative Suite are talentless hacks who probably pirate it for the sake of saying they have it (hoarders, what most software pirates are), not to use it in any meaningful way.
I stick by my gross over-generalization which makes anyone saying they will pirate it not matter at all in the grand scheme of things and should not be something to get worked up about like the initial post I was responding to was doing. Just ignore the people who think Adobe's prices are outrageous, they are what they are because they sell the best tools and anyone who can take those tools to make something worthwhile doesn't give a damn about the price.
Parkin Pig
Mar 15, 07:17 AM
My lovely girlfriend. Any C&C would be greatly appreciated!
Great background, which makes her stand out very well with her dark hair, and the shadow on her left arm. Not quite enough contrast between her right shoulder and the background (maybe dark sleeves would help?). I would have either brought the window in more to make its inclusion appear more deliberate, or excluded it altogether.
She looks to be slightly uncomfortable looking into the sun, but aren't we all?
My only other comment is that you're a lucky man!
Great background, which makes her stand out very well with her dark hair, and the shadow on her left arm. Not quite enough contrast between her right shoulder and the background (maybe dark sleeves would help?). I would have either brought the window in more to make its inclusion appear more deliberate, or excluded it altogether.
She looks to be slightly uncomfortable looking into the sun, but aren't we all?
My only other comment is that you're a lucky man!
Arquelis
Aug 3, 06:47 PM
As pointed out on the flickr on appleinsider: the speakers of the macbook pro on the banner are smaller than they are on the 15''
http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/gallery/qtvr15.html
http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/gallery/qtvr15.html
No comments:
Post a Comment